Monday, August 29, 2016

Vocabulary #2 Definitions and Sentences

1) Intercede: intervene on behalf of another
     - I didn't mean to intervene my mom conversation with her co worker
2) Hackneyed: (of a phrase or idea) lacking significance through having been overused; unoriginal and trite.
     - I have never seen an artist who was ever hackneyed.
3) Approbation: approval or praise
     - I am waiting for the approbation of the response of the research paper.
4) Innuendo: indirect or a subtle observation about a thing or a person
     - The big buyers of advertising use innuendo all the time.
5) Coalition: an alliance for combined action, especially a temporary alliance of political parties forming a government, or of states.
     -Ophrah became the centre of the coalition under Gideon in the tribe of Massachusetts
6) Elicit: evoke or draw out a response from someone in reaction to ones own actions or questions.
     - The comedian hoped his jokes would elicit a great deal of laughter from the audience.
7) Hiatus: a pause or gap in sequence, series, or process.
    - there was a hiatus in the activities of the agency.
8) Assuage: make (an unpleasant feeling) less tense.
     -I did what little I could do assuage my guilt.
 9) Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.
      - The era of decadence began.
10) Expostulate: express strong disapproval or disagreement.
     - The mother expostulated the daughters decision of going to the party.
11) Simulate: Imitate the appearance or character of.
     - On halloween day, my cousin simulated a princess.
12) Jaded: tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm
     - My grandparents are an example of jaded people.
13) Umbrage: offense or annoyance
      - The girl took umbrage at his remarks.
14) Prerogative: a right or privilege exclusive to a particular individual or a class.
     - The class had the r prerogative to go to the bathroom whenever they needed to go.
15) Lurid: very vivid in color, especially so as to create an unpleasantly harsh or unnatural effect.
     - My dad is color blind, so whenever I show him something colorful its lurid to his eyes.
16) Transcend: be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division)
     - This was an issue transcending party politics.
17) Provincial: of or concerning a province of a country or empire.
     - I'm not really into provincial elections.
18) Petulant: ( of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad tempered.
     - My sister is always so petulant when've she doesn't get what she wants.
19) Unctuous:(of a person) excessively or in gratingly flattering; oily
     -My cousin has very petulant skin after taking a nap.
20) Meritorious: deserving reward or praise
     - I felt meritorious as soon as I heard that I aced my math test.

No comments:

Post a Comment